Saturday, January 2, 2010

To Breed or not to Breed ...


Exactly a year ago today, a white and black stray cat became a part of our family. We named her Sugar. She is the smartest, funniest, best cat I have ever owned. I could bore you with a list of all her unique, talented ways like a parent talking about their child. At 40, I often think Sugar is as close as I will get to having a child.

So, how did I get here? Well, I've never been married and I've never had a pregnancy "oops." Having children was never on my list of "Must Do's." I've been waiting for that moment of yearning to have a child to happen like everyone told me it would. I got close to feeling it last year. I really let it sink into my bones for at least a few weeks. It was all I thought about along with stressing out over how to plan a wedding as soon as possible so we could get started on creating a pregnancy. I only accomplished making both of us crazy.

I talked to close friends and family about what I was thinking and their insight and support was what I needed.

If we decide to have a child, I know we'll make wonderful parents. If we decide not to have a child, I'm going to get a puppy.

2 comments:

  1. To be perfectly honest, I never thought I'd have children either. I now have two, both planned and loved and I couldn't imagine my life without them, but it took the right partner, the right timing and knowing that for me it was time. Maybe your time is just around the bend, but a puppy would be cheaper in the long run!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got pups and kids and u are welcome to any or all whenever
    the parental urge comes back!!(:
    I believe everything happens 4 a reason and I know you have positively effected
    lives without reproducing!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete