Friday, January 2, 2009

Lost Cat

Tonight when I came home from work a black and white cat was sitting on my front fence. I hadn't seen this cat before. It didn't belong to a neighbor and it wasn't part of the usual feral crowd. As soon as I started to walk towards it, it started to meow and approach me. I'll admit I started talking to it asking who it was and where it came from. I stretched out my hand and it rubbed its white fluffy head against my fingers. The cat is now curled up in a cardboard box on the porch with an old towel and a belly full of food.

Earlier today I discovered a blog by Nick Mele, a former diplomat and current Peace Activist. His entries about the homeless were in my mind while I found it so easy to care for a homeless cat. I live in a community that cares about its homeless so well that I have neglected to ask, "What can I do to help?"

I've written poems in an attempt to promote awareness but tonight that doesn't seem like enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment