Sunday, January 25, 2009

My Favorite Things


The smell of a flower

Camomile tea

A smile from my lover

The shade of a tree

The crash of blue crystal water

against rocks on an unknown beach

The echo of my mother's laughter

on the phone, when out of reach


A dragonfly in flight

The dance of a bee

A warm hand in mine

A midnight treat

The taste

of homemade food

secret ingredient

love love love

The touch

of silky smooth fur

on my loving cat

rub rub rub

The beat of a drum

A sincere embrace

Grass on bare feet

Your strong sweet face


At one point I realized that most of the poems I liked best that were written by me were not so upbeat. I wondered what happy topic I could write a poem about. Everything came out corny so I decided to make a list (an homage to The Sound of Music).

I checked the date I wrote this poem. I was certain the references were things I shared with my boyfriend who I will be celebrating a 5th anniversary with (he's a drummer who gives great hugs, loves late night snacks, and knows of a secluded beach). Instead, this poem was written a couple of years before I met him when I was single. According to my journal, the "strong sweet face" belonged to someone I hoped I would meet who would embody the characteristics most important to me. Someone with strength of mind and body and a sweetness that guided his heart and actions. Someone who would stand up to me using logic and humor. Someone I didn't think existed - until 5 years ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment