Sunday, August 23, 2020

Capturing Happiness

To Capture the Sun


Open arms

upturned face

Rays of light

Absorb

Embrace

One of the shortest poems I've written. I can see the picture in my mind. My face towards the sky, eyes closed, arms spread open as far as they can reach, like I'm ready for a big hug, feeling the warmth from the sun from my head to my toes. A person, or a plant, or a flower. All of these needing the presence of the sun to live.  Also a metaphor for being open to receiving many positive things. Hope. Happiness. Love. 


I need those things, and I need joy. I won't let myself be overcome by anger or sadness. I allow myself to feel those things when they arise, but I let them go. Released, usually, in the form of poetry and tears, and sometimes, by busting out my boxing gloves and punching. I won't allow anger or sadness to fester inside of me, changing who I am.

I know that I am responsible for my own happiness. So what can I provide for myself that makes me happy, after the necessities of food, water, and a safe and cozy home? The most important, is self care. Taking care of my body and mind through meditation, yoga, going for walks, and a balanced diet with the occasional "cheat meal," all improve my mood with the bonus of keeping my physique sleek and strong.


Next, is having healthy relationships. This means honesty, boundaries, respect, understanding, and a healthy dose of sense of humor. 

Most importantly, is laughter. Whether it's a giggle, or full on wheezing/snorting/crying laughter, it's a double whammy of happiness for my mind and my body. 

Happiness doesn't have to be elusive or complicated. It really can be as simple as opening your arms to the warmth of the sun, or to the warmth of your own love for yourself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment